Thursday, March 25, 2010

Deadly Errors

My Mom loaned me this book. The cover is sort of embarrassing.

It's about a brain surgeon in Seattle who discovers that the hospital's new electronic medical record system is making mistakes and causing deaths. It turns into a thriller slash mystery where the FBI asks him to investigate and lives are threatened and ... it was okay. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed it - but it wasn't particularly believable. Or believable at all actually. I did love how accurate the descriptions of Seattle were and I could picture every location described in perfect detail. And it's pretty cool that the author is an actual brain surgeon. I mean I was essentially a party planner before having my daughter and I wasn't capable of also writing a book, much less get it published. So the fact that this dude is able to save lives AND write a book? Impressed.

But the whole plot - while grounded in plausibility - became kind of ridiculous when an FBI agent blackmails the main character into risking his life (multiple times) to do his job for him. Said FBI agent also doesn't seem to care much that others who have looked into the mystery are being murdered left and right. Really? Call me an optimist, but I like to think that the FBI have my best interest in mind and wouldn't threaten me into getting killed by greedy hospital administrators while they sit back and watch.

No comments: