Monday, June 29, 2009

The Likeness

This book is truly awesome. Not that I’m surprised. Tana French’s first book, In The Woods was also awesome. That said, I’m still impressed. Loved every bit of this book.

Description from the back of the book:

Six months after a particularly nasty case, Detective Cassie Maddox has transferred out of Dublin’s Murder squad and has no plans to go back. That is, until an urgent telephone call summons her to a grisly crime scene.

It’s only when she sees the body that Casssie understands the hurry. The victim, a young woman, is Cassie’s double and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used on an undercover job. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl but, more importantly, who is this girl? And as reality and fantasy become desperately tangled, Cassie moves dangerously closer to losing herself forever.

There are great characters that suck you in, the mystery is creepy and fascinating and unlike In The Woods, she does not leave you hanging with unsolved crimes. I'd put it in my top 5 for 2009.

My friend Maggie loaned me this book and told me that it was excellent. Maggie – I hope my love for this book makes up for the fact that I also liked Water for Elephants.

2 comments:

cranky rae said...

Not sure if it makes up for Elephants, but I'm super thrilled you loved it. I loved the college friendships + creepy mystery formula. I hope Frenchie comes out with a new book soon because now her whodunnits are kind of all I want a read.

P.S. Just finished Oscar Wao. Didn't like it much.

trish said...

This was my favorite book of 2008, and no book in 2009 has yet matched it. I'm so glad you loved it too! I think this is one of those sleeper books, because most everyone who I know who's read it has loved it, but I'm not seeing it EVERYWHERE, which is what I want. Oh well. Guess I'll have to content myself with the fact that Tana French is hard at work on her third book, which is set to release summer 2010.