Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Waiting

My desire to write thoughtful and humorous reviews has (temporarily, I hope) left me. I haven't become the ultimate cliche of a new mother - I'm still reading! I just don't feel much enthusiasm for sitting down at the end of the day to write about it. Waiting was a book club pick and while I'm glad to have read it, I struggled with liking the characters and got kind of sick of the ... waiting. The book takes place in communist China and follows a guy (I can't remember his name) who lives in the big city while his wife - through an arranged marriage - lives back in their small town raising their daughter. He falls for another, more modern woman and for 18 years he visits his wife and asks for a divorce. This was a story of waiting and while a fascinating look at China in the 60s, 70s and 80s, the characters annoyed and the drawn out waiting drove me a bit bananas. Waiting has never really been my forte though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this book, but was annoyed especially by the main character. I find Jin's others books to be the same way.

Are you on Goodreads? I stopped blogging and started reviewing over there. First of all, the site's like crack to me with the rating of books. Second of all, it's easier as a Mom to write a short blurb and have it get to all of your "friends".

Let me know if you join. We have the same taste in books, so I'd love to add you over there.

Rachel