Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Watermelon

I used to love Marian Keyes so much. When all else was letting me down in the book world two weeks ago, I did something I never do - re-read a book. Most avid readers love to reread their favs, but I NEVER do this. I can't explain why, I just can't maintain interest when I already know what's going to happen. But Watermelon was different. It wasn't nearly as awesome as I remembered but it still delivered what I needed - entertainment. If I'd had Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married in my possession, I would have preferred to reread that, but I didn't. So I didn't.

Watermelon is pure chick-lit - the story of a 29 year old Irish woman living in London who's husband leaves her the day she gives birth to their first child. She goes back to Ireland to recover with her parents and family. Her family is entertaining, they call vacuuming "hoovering", the main character is self-deprecating, and there is romance (and vengeance). Plus, it only took me a day to reread so I didn't have to feel bad about reading fluff.

4 comments:

Maree said...

Can't go wrong there, but I agree _ I would have re-read Lucy Sullivan over Watermelon, if I had the choice. :)

Mari said...

I think I have read this. I also read through lots of chick-lit books for a couple years but have since stopped when the books started disappointing. They were fun and entertaining though.

Karen said...

I have read this one ages and ages ago but for some reason I don't have it on my shelves at home. You have made me want to rush out and get it just to re-live the Keyes magic. I love her earlier books but her latest was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Book Escape said...

I don't usually re-read but there are few that I go to when feeling stressed and read over and over.