Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Before I Wake

I finished Before I Wake a few weeks ago, so I don’t remember any of the clever things I was going to say about it. Basically I liked this book, but I don’t really know why. It was weird. Here are some random facts about this book:

1. It takes place in Victoria, BC, which is close to where I live, so I liked that.

2. I almost put it down at the beginning because it’s all about a 3 year old girl getting hit by a truck and being put into a coma. Being pregnant, I seem to be more susceptible than usual to the sadness of such story lines. Particularly because I’m a total fatalist and feel that by reading about it, it makes it more likely to happen to me.

3. I almost put it down later because it took this weird turn from sad story about child getting hit by a car and her parents dealing with the tragedy to all of a sudden being about miracles and the Catholic church and ghosts. Then I kind of got into it, but not in a way that I was proud of. It had sort of a normal-book-meets-that-weird-movie-starring-Nicholas Cage-and-Meg Ryan-where-he’s-a-ghost-that-roams-the-library type of thing.

This is not a helpful review and for this I am sorry.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Actually, it's an intriguing review. Although, with little ones of my own, I often having trouble reading about kids getting hurt.